Sunday, February 24, 2008

Why do I do this to myself?

Another year, another city, another bunch of strangers.
For those who haven't heard I have taken a job in Canberra.
Canberra is the capital of Australia, chosen because Sydney and Melbourne were fighting over it, so they stuck it in the middle of nowhere. Now Canberra is obviously not in the middle of nowhere - it is now a planned city - in fact Australia's largest inland city. Wooped de doo - basically that means the beach is 2.5 hrs away. I have just had my first weekend in Canberra and found a few things:
* Canberra is every bit as expensive as Sydney, and possibly more
* Buses can not be depended on at any time, but especially not on weekends
* Without a car, you are stuck (the exception to this may be a bike, but will let you know if that works for me)
* Strangers dont come up to me and beg for my friendship (OK not that this happened anywhere I have moved to but I live in hope)
* Everyone here works for the government or goes to university
* Everyone is in pairs - rather remenicient of Noahs ark
* There seems to be a shortage of things open after 5pm in Canberra (or 4 on a sunday)
* Friday night is their late night shopping (need I say more).

I have been living in Canberra for a couple of weeks but was out of the city the last two weekends. This weekend I managed to buy a bed, (not yet delivered) and spend masses of time alone - yet again. Once again I am reminded of how much I hate my own company. If nothing else it is good motivation to find friends.
The air is cleaner then Hong Kong. I am sitting on the balcony, in the evening sun eating turkish bread and hummus (dont think possible to get in HK) drinking some NZ white, and watching the little spider spin its web around my laptop. Yep nature - gotta love it. ( dOnt worry folks- i havent changed, that spider is no longer).

So im not sure if this blog will continue, but if you do stumble across it feel free to leave a comment. Oh and Im having a fight with my internet provider, so may be without internet very soon.

Next saturday is my housewarming. My flatmate is having at least 30 people, i am hoping for 5. Thankfully a few friends are coming from sydney so I dont feel so pathetic. Being friendless sux.
Oh bugger just got a mosquito bite. Damn nature.

4 comments:

Jyllie said...

Won't be long until you have your "Canberra Family" - with your prince and all - look forward to receiving updates as the members emerge

Good luck

Jyllie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Caity said...

Oh god... so what time do you think they'll all leave?

Maybe I will book a hotel room down the road. MMM... real bed.

Anonymous said...

Poor spider

Oh and yeah sucks to Canberra.